Wednesday, June 28, 2017

# christian romance # contemporary romance

A Heavenly Romance Novel

Review: Once Upon a Prince by Rachel Hauck

I wouldn’t have read this novel if I’d known ahead of time it was an inspirational romance. I hadn’t read one before and typically these kinds of books can be preachy and less about the characters. After reading it, I know I would have missed something divine.

This novel tells the story of Susanna and Nathaniel, two people who meet by coincidence in St. Simon Island, Georgia. Susanna has just been dumped by her boyfriend of 12 years and Nate is visiting the island to enjoy his last holiday before taking the throne. The couple meets and Nate ends up hiring Susanna, a landscape architect to work on his family’s estate on the island. Eventually, the two fall in love though Susanna is desperate to deny her feelings. The couple faces many more obstacles before the novel’s conclusion.
The Good
The story was delightful, real and engaging. Susanna is anyone of us hoping for a lasting connection. She didn’t expect her steady marine boyfriend to decide he’d found “the right ring but the wrong girl”. Her experience broke my heart, and she reaches out to God for answers, for guidance, and for peace. I found myself swept up in the story and even cried when she finally got her dream. Readers glimpse  how her faith brings the couple together against all odds. The best part is that their connection feels real even though it’s fiction.
The Not So Good
Sometimes the novel felt slow. I’m not sure readers needed as much information about Nate navigating his duties and responsibilities to the country. Also, the character of Lady Genevieve never seems like a real obstacle to their couple’s happiness. The character is one dimensional which is a notable thing considering the other characters feel more authentic.
The Verdict

I really liked the book. I was pleasantly surprised by how emotionally attached I was to the protagonists’ happiness, but I probably won’t continue with the series. I was impressed by the author’s use of scripture and her seamless ability to intertwine religion into the novel, but I like my romances a bit racier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Live Instagram Feed

Follow Me on Instagram!

Live IG Feed