Thursday, December 28, 2017

# nora roberts # Thriller

My 2017 Book of the Year

I've been a Nora Roberts fan for most of my life. I'm an avid romance reader and her stories are always filled with the perfect blend of adventure, romance, and community. I have to admit though I've never read any of her other works until today. I think I may have missed out as Year One is a story unlike any I have ever read.

Year One tells the story of several characters whose lives intersect after a plague takes out billions of the population. There is no treatment and no cure in sight as strangers both human and not work together to survive.

The Good

This book terrified me. I spent the first hours reading it unable to put it down even though I was almost shaking with fear. Everything happened so fast and characters were suddenly more than human. Like other Nora Roberts books, it was written fantastically. I could see all the characters and their circumstances as if I was watching a movie.

Max and Lana were my favorite characters initially but I grew to love Arlys, Chuck, and Fred too. Each has a realism that makes them seem like people you know, a neighbor or best friend.  I was so invested in making sure that they all made it despite people around them dying in mass numbers. As you would expect, the government was non-existent because of The Doom and without order, people do insane things. No answers are given to the characters because while we do find out how it was spread, less time is spent on the why. Still, I was gripped by the choices each had to make and what it cost them.

I couldn’t help but be emotionally invested as my heart raced and broke with each page. I kept wondering what I would do if my normal world was shattered overnight. I was with every character considering their decisions and making some of my own.


The Not So Good

There isn’t much to dislike about this book. If I was being picky, I could say the beginning was a bit hard to follow as we were introduced to a family whose names I had a hard time remembering. I was able to catch up soon enough and can’t think of another thing I disliked.

The Verdict






If you love books about the end of the world as you know it and want to read a book that will pull every emotional string possible read this! I can’t wait for the next one that won't be released until next December.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Live Instagram Feed

Follow Me on Instagram!

Live IG Feed