Tuesday, August 22, 2017

# Under the Never Sky # Veronica Rossi

A Brilliant Opening to an Breathtaking Story...









I picked up this book by chance. I was visiting the library and picked up several books. Some that made the cut while others only lasted a few pages/chapters depending on my willpower. I’m amazed that I had never heard of it and couldn’t find the summary of the story on the cover. I only found accolades given to the book by various publications and the fact it was optioned to become at film by Warner Brothers. My curiosity was peaked and like the cat I was quickly caught up.



The novel introduces readers to Aria, a teenage from the world of Reverie, where everyone lives in Pods. They experience the world through virtual Realms. When the book opens, Aria is in the process of breaking out into the real world or what she refers to as “the real” to find out about her mother who she hasn’t heard from in some time. When her plan changes suddenly she is sent in a direction she never imagined meeting outsiders who help her see the truth of her world. Peregrine is stuck in his world with a dying nephew and a brother unfit in his opinion to rule. When their two worlds collide both characters are irrevocably changed.



The Good


This book has a beautifully crafted world. I was fascinated by the different characters, their quirks and the environment. It felt like I couldn’t get enough. In particular the beginning of Aria and Perry’s relationship impressed me.

 Aria is stuck outside of her normal world and at first fears death until she is saved by Peregrine (Perry) rather reluctantly. Both characters are feeling the same way, Aria is terrified that she’s going to die but more worried about her mother than anything. Perry is furious that he saved Aria in the first place which caused his nephew to be kidnapped. He’s terrified that his ill nephew is in danger. I love that both characters feel the same even though it places them at odds. I particularly love the no one character is more right than the other. This is not just something that happens in fiction folks, it can happen in real life and the author displays this brilliantly.

Aria grows up during the story and is pretty evolved when she reaches the end. She’s stronger and able to confront the tragedy she experiences alone. I was amazed and impressed with how much I could identify with her and how proud I was as she learns to stand alone. I felt like the proud mama bird watching my baby take off for the first time.

Another of my favorite parts was the character of Roar. I liked him from the first word. His companionship served both characters well and he was a welcome addition to their initial antagonistic pairing. And his presence helped open up this world readers knew little about. We learned about Auds and Seers. I found out more about Perry which only served to deepen both my and Aria’s interest.

I could keep going because there really wasn’t much I didn’t like. The action was well placed and intense. This book was expertly written and executed. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything like it.



The Not So Good


Only that I have to wait for the next book to find out more. I was happy that there were bonus chapters at the end so I could get some immediate relief in wanting to know what happened when Aria and Perry were reunited.



The Verdict







It was breathtaking! This may be my favorite read this year and I will end up reading the next one soon. I’m curious to find out how the movie will be adapted. I’m ready to see it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Live Instagram Feed

Follow Me on Instagram!

Live IG Feed